Back to School

The kids start classes tomorrow at a new school. They are VERY excited, and so are we, because their new school is even closer than their old school and it also has an excellent reputation - and an awesome playground! They're also a little nervous, especially our fourth grader, because, well, it's a new school, and they don't know very many people there. 

Me, I'm a lot nervous. There's some anxiety, of course, about them starting at a new school and hoping that we made the right decision to move them and that they make friends quickly and like their teachers and so on. But mostly I'm nervous because we don't know any families or teachers or administrators at the new school, and so now I have to figure out whether and how to share the news of my health status with various people. The kids' teachers need to know, in case there's an emergency and I wind up in the hospital or something, so that they'll have context if the kids are upset or perform poorly in school. I'd prefer that the administration know, too, for the same reasons as the teachers. But I hate making that one the first things they know about me and about our family. I'd rather, when they think of our family, think, Oh! They're the ones who have to keep buying bookcases because the mom can't stop buying books for the kids! Or, aren't they the ones who live just down the street? They're such nice people. But no. We'll be branded as the cancer family. I absolutely hate that. Ugh. Believe it or not, cancer isn't the only thing going on in our lives, especially when the kids are concerned. We're a pretty normal family, all things considered; the kids don't sit around thinking about how I have a chronic illness. They're just regular kids (but of course totally adorable and brilliant and kind and funny).

Which brings me to my next problem: the whole new friends and families situation. When and how do you share the news that you have cancer with people? "Hi, I'm Maggie's mom, so great to meet you. We're happy to have your child over to play. Oh, by the way, I have cancer! So, we'll see you around 5:30?" It just doesn't fit into a conversation smoothly, you know?  It's sort of shocking news, especially when I don't really "look like" a cancer patient.  I have all of my hair, I'm mobile, I'm not pallid or bony.  And yet, if kids meet friends they become close with, I want the parents to know our situation, especially if we need an emergency play date or have to cancel plans.  I've had to do this multiple times - when Maggie started her last school, when Finn started kindergarten last year. But it's not easy, and it's not fun. It's supremely awkward. I don't like meeting new people anyway, so the getting to know you process was already awkward and anxiety-inducing! *Sigh*...What's a girl to do? Do you think I can just wear a shirt that explains everything so I don't have to do it myself? Or would that be too weird? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety Olympics Arena Is Temporarily Closed for Cleaning

Yoga for Cancer Patients: No Mat Required

2018 July 17: Crying in the MRI and My Friend Jen