The Newest Chapter: Inspirations for October


Since my last scan, I've been thinking a lot about the next phase of my life.  I've had life-saving medical intervention that has allowed me to banish almost all of my cancer. I've spent some serious time relaxing and pampering myself, and I have the energy and recovering fingernails (they kept splitting!) to prove it. And now I'm ready to move on, to open a new chapter in my life. I feel as though my future wellness is really in my own hands right now. Do I want to spend my life "managing my illness" - or do I want to commit myself to enhancing my wellness? Um, I'll take the latter, thankyouverymuch!!

My new approach consists of four "buckets," if you will: nutrition, exercise, mindfulness, and intellectual engagement. I'm not becoming Buddha or anything (yet!), but I've read enough that I'm convinced that a vegan, low-sugar diet is going to serve me best. I'm walking every day and committed to enjoying yoga again 3-4 times a week. I've started meditating again, just for five minutes in the morning and five minutes at night. And on the intellectual engagement front, I'm diving into my reading lists, especially the ones related to my work!

That's the short story. Want the nitty-gritty on what has helped me get to this point? 

On the nutrition front, these are the books (and one video) that I've read (or watched!) that I've found the most engaging and useful:
On the exercise front, I'm particularly loving:
  • My Misfit Shine...especially with the Metal Mesh band in Silver. I never take it off!
  • Endorphin at City Park...Amazing yoga classes! with a special shout-out to my own personal yoga love guru, Jane K. Can't wait to try the family yoga class they offer every Sunday!
  • My Nike Free sneaks
  • The beautiful fall weather that's inspiring and nourishing me:


Is it just a coincidence that I'm starting a new chapter when it's time to celebrate Diwali?? I think not!

...and, finally, did you see this article today in The New York Times Magazine! Wowza!

Now, when it comes to reclaiming my brain, my intellectual engagement bucket has been filled with:
  • This fun new (well, new to me) news digest in the morning, and this really well done news digest in the afternoon. Check them out!
  • This fantastic book about the Afghan phenomenon of girls passing as boys. Major props to journalist Jenny Nordberg for successfully pursuing what must have seemed like an impossible story. As a matter of fact, I liked it so much that I added it to one of my syllabi for next semester, along with this book about Iraq and this gorgeous book about the links between street art and revolution in Egypt. Watch out if you're taking IAFS 3000: Statebuilding and Society in the Greater Middle East! We're going to have a wicked good time.
  • Prepping and presenting a lecture and discussion about ISIS for the United Nations Association of Boulder last week. Lots of good resources out there but this intro to the organization and this article were two of my favorites. I *heart* Dexter Filkins. 
Next Up on my list of things to read:
  • "Afghanistan: The Grim Reality" I've had the book that is the subject of the article on my to read list but haven't read it yet. I just love it when The NY Review of Books does some of the hard work for me (even if I'm SO over Rory Stewart!). They're the bomb. 
  • "What is Veiling?" Looking forward to Sahar's views on the cultural context and current politicization of the much maligned and largely misunderstood (in America) process of the Muslim veil.
  • I have to get up to speed on the latest about al Qaeda, because I'm giving a talk about it next week at CU! I'll definitely be discussing bin Laden's final communications and proffering some of the ideas brought forth in this truly chilling and very troubling article about AQ's biggest competition: ISIS. 
  • ...And when I'm ready to relax:
   


....are all waiting for me (well, Poehler's book will be released on October 28th. Can't. Wait!). Yaay! 


If you need proof that I have good taste in books....lookee!  Two of my recent favs (Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See and Mandel, Station Eleven) are finalists for the National Book Award in fiction! 
So...that's the latest with me. What have you been up to this week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety Olympics Arena Is Temporarily Closed for Cleaning

Yoga for Cancer Patients: No Mat Required

2018 July 17: Crying in the MRI and My Friend Jen