A Book Challenge from Me to You (Book Post, of course!)

I was skimming through my FB feed and found this "article" that recommended 101 books to read besides "50 Shades of Grey." First of all, I applaud any effort to redirect people from that particular book. It is, without a doubt, one of the worst books of all time. (It is right up there with the Twilight series and now that I'm considering it, it in fact may have surpassed Twilight in its utter dreadfulness. At least Twilight had a plot, however lame.) I mean, just no. If you want some readable erotica, there's this woman named Anais Nin you may have heard of (and if you haven't heard of her, well, there's your summer reading list for hot, sleepless nights - get through that and you can move on to Henry Miller - ooh, la la)...or at the very least, you can read Catherine Millet's somewhat shocking memoir. Anyway. I digress. (Get used to that, because it happens sorta often. I also overuse parentheticals. Don't judge me.) The article, instead of giving a list of books, made a GIGANTIC flowchart:

a little preview of said flowchart

There's some good stuff there, but I can definitely do better. You tell me what your interests are, and I'll recommend a book that I bet you an ice cream cone you'll like.  You don't like the book, I will send you an ice cream cone. It's a win/win for you, either way!  But you have to read the book. 

Come on. Gimme the best you got in the comment section below. I'm ready for you, baby. 

Comments

  1. I read 50 shades yesterday. It was definitely better than Twilight. The writing was definitely "first book" and she definitely was new to erotica and to BDSM circles. But, hey, it wasn't dinosaur erotica, so there's a plus. (http://dinosaurerotica.com/)

    So, I'm just commenting for something new to read. I'm sure I'd read and like whatever you'd suggest. I'll read anything. I don't like High Fiction. If I want sad and depressing, I'll read the news or call my mother! Oh, I just read Jaspar Forde yesterday too. That was lovely. And Hyperbole and a Half. Today I'm reading some Romance and Sci-Fi (Preston and Childs, and Gaiman).

    (Oh, I also overuse parentheses, and m-dashes - I love me the m-dash. I'm also an ardent supporter of the Oxford Comma - may its usage never falter.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like Fforde, I bet you'll love Ben Aaronovitch's series - I think it's called Rivers of London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know me, I mostly like sci-fi. It can be sad, thrilling, romantic, mysterious, weird, whatever as long as it's either set in a different world, different time or today, but weird things are happening. I just read The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness, which was fantastical, but only ok and now I'm reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown and love it so far (it reminds me of the Hunger Games, but it's set on Mars). Another recent favorite was Grass by Sherri Tepper, which was mysterious, horrific sci-fi at its finest. What else you got for me? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. catching up - late to the party as usual. bit of a busy summer (new house, big move, becoming a slumlord, i mean landlord, taking on the sister and niece in the new house...). but i ALWAYS pipe up to defend Twilight. i'm not saying it was quality fiction or even worth keeping on the shelf for a re-read down the road. but the season i got pregnant was the time i was reading Twilight and reminiscing about being 16 and ridiculously in love, and i credit that heartachy-remembrance for reminding me of a longing i once had - and found again - for my DH. just saying. oh, and against SEVERAL words of warning, i did read 50 Shades, too. haven't touched anias nin since i was a kid and finding it on my mother's bookshelf seemed scandalous...but maybe i will have to go check that out again. never a bad time to project someone else's erotica into your own life... even 50 Shades caused a positive blip on the old marriage radar. :) xxoo -eve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me...what are you thinking?

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety Olympics Arena Is Temporarily Closed for Cleaning

Yoga for Cancer Patients: No Mat Required

2018 July 17: Crying in the MRI and My Friend Jen