I Gotta Fever... (Book Post)

Had a couple of hours set aside for summer reading this morning - I know, I know, I'm spoiled, but the reality is that I'm so far behind on my reading that I can't even see the top of the stack. I read almost nothing all of last year, between surgeries, chemo sessions, general panic attacks, and then the fuzz-brain that goes along with all of the above. Plus, I literally couldn't stay awake. But I'm back baby, with a vengeance!
Anyhoo...I read The Fever:
Disturbing and sexy cover, no?

Here's my review, but if that link doesn't work (and will someone tell me if it works for you or not, please?!), here's the review in its entirety. I try not to write spoilers, so don't worry:

The fever around this book from just about every mainstream critic and "great summer reads" recommendation article forced me to buy it. Forced me, I tell you! It was engaging. I'd never read Megan Abbott before, but she's worth the time. A story that moves, feels taut and wiry, with plenty to tell you but biding its time and leaving you a little breathless, I guess. It's a quick, enjoyable, surprisingly insightful summertime read.

Without giving too much away, I can safely say that Abbott introduces her readers into the lives of three teenage girls who have been best friends forever: Deenie, Lise, and Gabby. The story opens with one of the "Trio Grande," as they are known, having a grand mal seizure at school. Teen speculation and excitement ensues, but that soon gives way to hysteria as a number of other girls soon fall prey to seizures, headaches, and a host of other maladies - and then the hysteria spreads to the community at large. (This book supposedly was inspired by The Crucible - so be sure to ask yourself what's really at the root of the hysteria - you'll find some thoughtful answers for sure.) Abbott successfully intertwines the playing out of this mysterious illness with several other, more familiar, teen themes: love and sex and angst and independence, the ways that friendships blossom and die, what it means to be alive in the 21st century, and so on. In addition to bringing the girls to startling life on the page, Abbott has their families come to life for us, too - at least, Deenie's family - in a satisfying way. The subtle and insightful glimpses into the dynamics of the Nash family impressed me, and she nails teenage confusion and angst pretty well, too. Nicely done!

This is a solid piece of work, and it's not too long - important when your book stack is already teetering, right? - but it's not earth shattering or particularly meaningful to me personally, so I award it 3.5 stars. Recommended for those interested in teen novels, social dynamics, relationships, and a little bit of mystery.

Have you read this book? What did you think? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety Olympics Arena Is Temporarily Closed for Cleaning

Yoga for Cancer Patients: No Mat Required

2018 July 17: Crying in the MRI and My Friend Jen