Where'd You Go, Summer? (Family Post)

I turned around this morning and suddenly August - filled with fun trips and family visits and - holy schmoly, SCHOOL STARTING! - is staring me in the face! How can this be? I seem to remember long, gloriously boring summers full of sprinklers and swing sets and, now that I consider it, probably being locked out of doors from morning til night. I did, in fact, eat dog kibble one time. But it wasn't because I was going hungry - I was just in that "Why the hell not? Let's give it a whirl!" sort of summer attitude. (And it wasn't too bad, if you want to know the truth.) But around here, it's all insane. My seven year old turned to me last week and said, "You know, I think I'm ready for school to start." I thought it was just the heat, but no, she keeps saying it. (My son, meanwhile, is keeping quiet - likely because he doesn't like to be up and at 'em when it's school days. He saves his early rising for the weekends. Such a sweetheart. But I know he is excited for school to start, too - after all, he's going to be in kindergarten this fall.)

I mean, sure. We don't have endless backyards and friends who wander in and out, because we live in the city and there aren't any other families on our block. We have a sprinkler, though, and popsicles, and plenty of crafts and books. And playdates and two dogs and probably a partridge in a freaking pear tree somewhere around here. I've shooed them off to camp (fun camp! tie-dying, nature hiking, horseback riding, swimming and ice skating kind of camps!) and wouldn't you know it? They'd rather be at school. Wait. Why am I complaining about this?

Oh, right. I'm complaining because I'M not ready for school. They can go, sure, and alleluia. But I have a lot of work to finish before my classes are ready to roll, and August, as I said, is full of busyness. Of course, I could be working right this second and instead I'm blogging. But still. Where is the time going? 

I propose a stop-time motion for the next six weeks. We just get to break out of the frame and do whatever the heck we want: loll in the grass, run through the sprinklers, let watermelon drip down our chins. And then we can return to summer and get ready for school. Who's with me?! Can we take this to the UN?


Comments

  1. I can completely sympathize with you. My first day is the 11th of August, 3 weeks from yesterday! I have already been in my classroom trying to prepare for my next big adventure. ;) I am sure Maggie and Finn will love being together in the next school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is that I am inherently lazy and ready to never work again. Donna has let me not teach summer school the last two summers, and maaaaaaan....it has really given me a taste of what retirement will be like, and I gotta tell ya, I am ready. It isn't that I hate my job. I really like teaching, the students, my colleagues, being a part of something amazing like education...but I love not working. Alas. I am nowhere near retirement and summer is almost over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me...what are you thinking?

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety Olympics Arena Is Temporarily Closed for Cleaning

Yoga for Cancer Patients: No Mat Required

2018 July 17: Crying in the MRI and My Friend Jen